You’ve seen your doctor, but you think you’ve been misdiagnosed. What can you do about it?
Firstly, you should know that:
- Forty percent of all health conditions diagnoses are wrong.
- You are likely to be misdiagnosed at least once in your lifetime.
- A misdiagnosed health condition is serious and could be fatal.
Patients, like you and me, often will trust and be blindly led by our physician and never question them. We too often assume that their medical knowledge is sufficient and we presume they are educated & up-to-date with research & studies. However, doctors are human too. Doctors have the ability and probability that they could be wrong. It is our responsibility and right as patients to seek a second opinion.
When should you seek a second opinion?
- You suspect something is not right. You know your body better than anyone and sometimes you have to go with your instinct.
- Your doctor appears to hesitate. If your doctor is unsure when you ask questions (and you should be asking questions) then you should absolutely seek a second opinion.
- Before surgery or treatment. Undergoing surgery or treatments, such as chemo, could be severely damaging or even fatal. Be sure to seek out alternative options and possibilities before making a hasty decision.
- Treatments or prescriptions are not working and your symptoms persist. If you have been misdiagnosed and treated with the incorrect medicine or therapy, you will not heal. Your condition will worsen with time and you may find yourself with new ailments from receiving the wrong medical care.
- It is not an emergency. For example, a treatment plan for a cancer patient is a long term commitment and usually with many unknowns. There is time to consider different options and look for other specialists who may be more knowledgeable in the field. Unless it is an emergency, never feel rushed or pressured from your doctor.
When considering a college, buying a car or investing in a property, we will look at more than one and compare them. We determine the cost and other factors too. Why? Because it’s an important long term decision. In the same manner, we should consider that for our health. Our health is a life long decision. Without our health, we have no future or hope of one.
Why should you consider 2nd.MD for a second opinion?
“I had been given 12-18 months to live and now I am cancer free! After my consult with Dr. Henderson, I felt as if I had options, where none seemed to exist before. I took the information to my own oncologist, who was amazed that I was able to get a consult with a legend in the field. The consult gave me confidence to push for the treatment I wanted. I would recommend 2nd.MD to anyone. It changed the course of my treatment for the better and I am extremely grateful for the service.”
Before second guessing yourself, second guess your doctor and give yourself a second chance. It may just save your life!