The Power of Medical Certainty
In this summary Dr. Drew Olivera, Senior Executive Medical Director for Regence Blue Shield in Washington, and Dr. Joel Feigin, Senior Vice President, Chief Medical Officer of UnitedHealthcare discussed how treatment changed during the pandemic, and how once people experienced telehealth they came to expect it.
Here are a few of the key points:
- People are used to seeking out information. Including an expert medical consultation gives people a way to gather meaningful information, become educated and engaged.
- Leadership support is one of the most important ingredients for ensuring engagement and program success.
- Communication and relevant messaging, proactive outreach, and personalized information is also important to outcomes.
- The program must be convenient and integrated with other solutions offered in the health benefit and provide a seamless referral process.
- Dr. Olivera mentioned the three things that stood out to him about 2nd.MD quality of the specialists, a [virtual] face-to-face meeting with the expert, and turnaround time, which is on average 3 days for 2nd.MD.
Download the complete discussion between Dr. Olivera and Dr. Joel Feigen.
This discussion was from an AHIP speaking session titled “The Power of Medical Certainty for Your Members”
Finding a partner that fits in with your other health benefits vendors doesn’t have to be difficult. But you need to do some research before you begin. By focusing on how well your new partner will integrate with your other vendors, you can determine if it will be a good fit.
Millions think surgery is the only answer to musculoskeletal (MSK) pain or injury. But other therapies often work just as well. Many employees who were required to have an expert medical opinion before an MSK surgery learned just that, canceling surgery or choosing alternate treatment. The employer realized $7 million in savings.
What does a company that prides itself on rewarding its diverse and talented workforce with an array of benefits do when they see musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions accounting for nearly 15% of their healthcare spend? They add a new expert medical opinion solution that resulted in saving millions of dollars and improving the health of their employees.